Thai Green Papaya Salad
The Thai Green Papaya Salad is an undisputed champion of refreshing, plant-based international staples. Here's one of our favorite versions:
- 1 red Thai chile or serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar, divided
- 1 tbsp. O’dang Classic Mediterranean
- 4 oz. green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1/2 large green papaya (about 1 1/2 lbs), or 3 unripe mangoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup small basil leaves
- seeds of your choice
- In a small bowl, soak the chile in 2 tbsp rice vinegar for 15 minutes; drain.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the beans until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water; drain and pat dry.
- Use a julienne peeler or food processor to shred the papaya (or mangoes) and carrot. Transfer to a large bowl along with bean sprouts, tomatoes, and soaked chile.
* In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, garlic, tbsp of O’dang dressing, and remaining tablespoon rice vinegar. Toss with salad, then fold in basil. Serve topped with seeds if desired.