Beet & Chickpea Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Whether you're well into your personal health journey or just getting started, this delicious beet & chickpea grilled cheese sandwich is a perfect way to mark the occasion. Here's how:
- 1 beet (peeled)
- 1 cup chickpeas (cooked; canned is fine)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup spinach
- 4 slices feta cheese (approximately 1 ounce each, at room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon za'atar (more or less as needed)
- 1 tablespoon of O’dang Cucumber Dill Mayo
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Peel and quarter the beet and add it to a food processor. Pulse a few times to break up the beet.
- Add the chickpeas and tahini sauce and pulse a few times.
- Add the parsley, breadcrumbs, cumin, and garlic powder. Pulse a few more times to combine then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the dough into four parts and form patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes on one side.
- Flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the temperature up to 400 F.
- Prepare the sandwiches by laying bread with O’dang Mayo. Then add an equal amount of baby spinach leaves to four slices of the bread. Top each with a beet and chickpea patty followed by a slice of the feta cheese. Drizzle approximately one teaspoon of olive oil over each, sprinkle on some za'atar and top with the remaining four slices of bread.
- Drizzle the tops of each sandwich with the remaining olive oil, place on the same baking sheet the patties were on and return to the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the bread is a light golden brown and the cheese has started to melt.