Falafel Pita Sandwich
Chickpeas spread on chickpeas is still not enough chickpeas for us! In honor of National Falafel Day we created this recipe for a delicious Falafel Pita Sandwich. Spread our vegan mayonnaise on your pita bread and pay homage to the mighty chickpea! We like the Lemon Garlic flavor with falafel, but try all four flavors of dairy-free mayo and find the one that fits your taste buds best!
- 2 cups raw chickpeas soaked in water overnight (not canned)
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 2–3 handfuls fresh parsley
- 1 handful cilantro optional
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp of salt
- Grapeseed oil (frying falafels)
- Pita bread
- Feta Cheese
- O’dang Lemon Garlic Vegan Mayo
- Drain and wash the soaked, uncooked chickpeas thoroughly and blend it well in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients until it turns into a coarse pastry.
- Form the falafel into small balls.
- Heat the oil in a small or medium sized sauce pan and fry them until the surface becomes crispy (around 5 min). Flip and fry until crispy and cooked through.
- Remove falafel balls and let cool.
- While falafel is cooling, spread O’dang vegan mayo on pita bread.
- Top with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber and finish by sprinkling with cheese.
- Finish off your sandwich with crispy falafels.